Moving into a new home can be daunting! The last thing that you want to worry about when you are up to your ears in boxes is your home loan. Fairway makes moving easier by alleviating your lending stress by communicating with you every step of the loan process. You can also rely on me for any connections you may need when it comes to moving, so please don’t hesitate to ask for recommendations on everything from movers to insurance agents to local hotspots. I pride myself in knowing the area well, so consider me a resource should you need anything.
Here are some great tips on how to manage some potential moving stressors and making moving easy.
Before you move:
1. Begin by completing a change of address form from the post office.
2. Send your new address to any publications you subscribe to, as it will take up to eight weeks for the change to become effective.
3. If you are moving not only homes, but also communities, contact the local Visitor’s Bureau or Chamber of Commerce for materials about your new town.
4. Pack a special box (or several) with essentials for your first few nights in your new home, as it will probably take a few days to begin unpacking. This can include things like prescription medicines, toiletries, clothing, towels, and bed linens.
Once you have arrived in your new home:
1. Locate the emergency services close by including police stations, fire stations, and hospitals.
2. Take a tour of your neighborhood to become familiar with your new surroundings and learn the best routes to work, school, grocers, etc.
3. To ease stress, try choosing one room and make it a place of refuge for you and your family. Make it a cozy space free of unpacked boxes, empty cartons or anything else move-related.
Moving can be difficult on children. Make sure to discuss, as a family, how it is normal to miss your old home and share your feelings. Talk through the positive (and even the negative) aspects of moving to a new house. Try to maintain family routines, as children will appreciate the continuity of family life. Be sure to keep everyone busy and involved to make the new home feel like a project that they are involved with. Allowing children to help select new furnishings and decorations for their room will help them feel more at home.
Remember that I am here to help with whatever you need during the home buying process and would love the opportunity to refer you to services that may make your move easier.