Changing your air filter regularly is one of the most important things you can do for both your home and your heating and cooling unit. Most filters need to be changed between once a month and once every three months depending on what kind they are. You can check the product information on your filter’s packaging for their specific suggested frequency of change.
There are several reasons it is important to change your filters regularly.
- A clogged air system can cause extensive damage to your homes heating and cooling system. Heating and cooling systems are not equipped to handle pollution and debris therefore will have a much shorter lifespan if it is allowed into their lines by a dirty filter.
- Since your air filter acts as a barrier from dirt and debris, changing the air filter in your system ensures cleaner, fresher, and healthier air in your home. As a result, you will no longer be constantly circulating dust, dust mites, and pollen. This will increase the health of both your family and your home.
- Lastly, a clean air filter will save you money. A dirty air filter uses much more energy than a new, clean air filter therefore lowering your electricity bill by up to 15%!
So how exactly do you change an air filter? It’s simple!
- Begin by purchasing a new filter. Check the owner’s manual for your heating and cooling system to determine the correct size filter.
- Turn off the unit and remove the old filter. Most air filters are located on the right side of the unit and will easily pull out of their slot.
- Simply slide the new filter into place. There are arrows on the filter that indicate which side should be facing out and which should be facing in.
For more information on how to change your air filter, watch the video below! Owning and maintaining a home is an exciting time in your life! When you are ready to buy a new home or refinance the home you have, I am here to make sure your purchase process goes as smoothly as possible! Call me to set up an appointment!
Tags: Home Improvement